Create a MediaWiki user
| Create a MediaWiki user|
Organic Design procedure
Open the wiki you are setting up a user for in a browser window or tab.
- Create user from user setup page, choose a user name and a password.
- Enter an email address. The email address is useful for being sent notifications if pages you are interested in change, it can also be used to reset the password in the case of it being forgotten.
- Click on the user page in the top right.
- You can create links to articles of interest or current work from the user page.
Recommended user preferences
This is a matter of personal choice of course, however these prefs have proven useful:
- User profile --> Email section: tick "E-mail me when a page I'm watching is changed"
- Time and date set time to local time (fill in from browser)
- Editing - show preview on first edit, mark edits minor by default,
- Recentchanges - hide minor changes
Check your email for a validation message sent from the wiki. Once you follow the link provided here, your email address will be validated and you will receive email notifications if desired.
- For offline and personal wikis - In this case you will not need to enter the email address.
- If you wish to change your password, go to your preferences, the option is found on the first tab.
- If you have forgotten your password, you can click on the "E-mail password" button on the "Log in / create account" page to have your password reset. You can then use the newly created password to log in and change the password to something you can remember in the preferences.