Difference between revisions of "Install a MediaWiki codebase"
|Line 65:||Line 65:|
Revision as of 07:11, 26 August 2009
|Install a MediaWiki codebase|
Organic Design procedure
This article describes installing a new version of the MediaWiki software itself. This is a framework which can be thought of as a class which provides the interface structure and database schema for any instances of the software which are separate evolving databases. This process is also useful for creating a duplicate of an existing codebase for experimentation.
- Download a version of MediaWiki to the server you want to install it on. Using wget on a server to download a version e.g.
- checkout the source tree of the latest skins
<bash> cd /var/www mkdir skins/ && cd skins svn co http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/skins skins-phase3-trunk </bash>
- Codebase hacks
- Change the constants in Article.php functions getBlankingAutosummary, getAutosummary and the end of delete to $GLOBALS['wgTruncatedCommentLength'] (bugzilla report 2007-10-02 11543)
- Unpack the tar.gz distribution into /var/www leaving the directory name of the version untouched. The config directory must be set to chmod a+w config
- Set the /var/www/domains/setup.organicdesign.co.nz symlink to point to the new codebase. If it is a local installation /var/www/domains/setup.localhost and include setup.localhost in your etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 localhost setup.localhost
- A symlink needs to be added in the codebase during initial setup called wiki which points to it's parent, the codebase dir e.g.
ln -s /var/www/mediawiki-1.11.1/ wiki
- Go to http://setup.organicdesign.co.nz/wiki/config in your browser and run through the install the db user bender, and any template db name (but please note, you must use a table prefix with trailing underscore for add-db to work with it as a template!). Use your own account for sysop rather than "WikiSysop". If it is a local installation http://setup.localhost
- Move the config/LocalSettings.php into the main /wiki directory
- Edit the LocalSettings.php file, remove the db user, password and prefix and append to the end of the script: include('extensions/wikia.php');
- Replace the extensions directory with a symlink to /var/www/extensions
- Run make in the wiki/math directory
- Add the DPL DB update shown at DPL:DPL:Manual - Source and Installation (after we figure out why it's not working!)
- Create a template database for major releases of MediaWiki (either copy and upgrade an existing template, or add to the base install)
- mysqldump -u user -p db-name > /var/www/empty-x.xx.sql
- Note: see section below for DB user details
- Not sure if this is still relevent, but the template-db's may need a column added for DPL, see OD:01 May 2007
MediaWiki MySQL user
Mediawiki is setup with the mysql user account Bender with the password specified as in MW:LocalSettings.php through the include of Wikia.php. User Bender has privileges to create and access all the wikia databases.