ActivityPub is a social-networking protocol that provides a client/server API for creating, updating and deleting content, as well as a federated server-to-server API for delivering notifications and content. ActivityPub is a standard for the Internet in the Social Web Networking Group of the W3C. At an earlier stage, the name of the protocol was "ActivityPump", but it was felt that ActivityPub better indicated the cross-publishing purpose of the protocol. It learned from the experiences with the older standard called OStatus. In January 2018, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) published the ActivityPub standard as a Recommendation.
List of software implementing ActivityPub
- Mastodon - a federated microblogging platform, implementing ActivityPub since version 1.6 (September 2017) also compatible with GNUsocial and OStatus
- Pleroma - an Litepub (cut down compatible version of ActivityPub) based federated social networking platform, compatible with GNUsocial and other OStatus implementations
- Friendica - a social networking platform compatible with many protocols including ActivityPub
- Hubzilla - community CMS implemented ActivityPub from version 2.8 (October 2017) with a plugin
- MissKey - a social networking platform implementing ActivityPub
- NextCloud - federated service for file hosting
- PeerTube - federated video streaming platform using P2P (BitTorrent) directly in the web browser
- Funkwhale - a federated music server
- Pixelfed - an image hosting and sharing platform
- Bridgy Fed - a bridge that converts between Webmention, ActivityPub and OStatus
- distbin - a distributed pastebin
- dokieli - is a clientside editor for decentralised article publishing, annotations and social interactions
- Kroeg - serves ActivityPub and has bridges to OStatus
- places.pub - places.pub is a place server for the ActivityPub network.
- Pubstrate - social networking application written in Guile
- tags.pub - tags.pub is a hashtag server for the ActivityPub network
- Plume Project - federated blog engine that supports ActivityPub
- Micro.Blog - blogging platform now supports ActivityPub optionally
- Smilodon - an unfinished client for Pylodon server
- Write Freely - a platform by @firstname.lastname@example.org for publishing your writing on the web using ActivityPub for federaton
ActivityPub plugins for existing web apps
- Pterotype - connect your Wordpress blog comments into the fediverse
- W3C's wiki page on ActivityPub
- What is the fediverse?
- What is ActivityPub, and how will it change the internet?
- Litepub - a cut down compatible version of ActivityPub desgined by @email@example.com
- The-Federation.Info - statistics on the fediverse