Ingredients for 5L:
- 600g Sugar
- 50g tea (20 tea bags of Bell)
Once you have a mix going (copied from an existing scoby), you will need to bottle the mix and get the first fermentation running again around every week:
- Remove scoby and 700ml of liquid and place in separate container.
- Stir the remaining liquid to ensure consistency.
- Bottle the stirred liquid adding fruit and/or any other flavors.
- Clean out the container (that the liquid was in) with white vinegar.
- Add sugar to container and dissolve in 1L of boiling water.
- Add tea bags and wait 10 mins to brew (no need to stir).
- Remove tea bags and add 3.3L cold water and ensure entire mix is cold (not still hot from the boiling water added from an earlier step).
- Add your scoby and the 700ml of liquid you placed aside earlier.
- Cover and ferment for around 1 week.
My initial measure for alcohol content using a hydrometer gave the following result:
5% / 104 / 38