AjaxComments 2.0 & 2.5
In May 2015 version 2.0 was written which stores the comments in the database instead (it comes with a maintenance script to copy the existing comments over from talk pages into the new database table and reverts the talk pages back to how they were before comments were added). It logs the comment activity so it still shows up in the page history and recent changes. It also works with the WebSocket extension if it's installed and the server supports WebSockets so that polling the server using Ajax is no longer necessary.
Version 2.5 is for MediaWiki 1.25 and above and uses the new JSON based Extension registration methodology for loading the extension. If you're using a version of MediaWiki older than 1.25, then you should select the MediaWiki 1.24 branch of the code.
- Activates automatically for articles that have discussion pages removing discussion tab and adding a comments section below the article content
- Allows registered users to add comments or reply to existing comments
- Allows comments that a user has previously created to be edited or deleted as long as they have not been replied to yet
- Sysops can edit/delete all comments
- All comment interaction is done via Ajax so that the page is never reloaded
- Comment editing integrates properly with wikitext by retrieving the comment source via ajax
- The data that makes up the comments is stored in the talk page but is not in a humanly readable format
- The talkpage data is able to coexist with existing talk page content and is delineated by headings so it's clearly visible to avoid accidental editing
- Displays gravitars for users with confirmed email addresses who have registered a gravitar
- Users can like/dislike other users comments but not their own comments or comments they already like/dislike
- Liking an already disliked comment will un-dislike it, and visa-versa, disliking a previously liked comment will unlike it.
Issues / Todo
- The comment data is stored in the articles talk page, but is currently not human readable
and does not work with existing talk page content The date/time of posts is not currently displayed in the users timzone or with their time formatting preferences
- At the moment, the most recent comments are first, but some sites may prefer most recent at the bottom
- Because the comment storage method is not human-readable, the diff isn't very useful
Mousing over the like/dislikes should show the users names
- Input box size should be set by JS to match the size and position of the comment text
Editing should return only the rendered text content, not the whole comment and all its replies Going to the talk page should redirect to the comments The tab url can be changed to #comments