Mozilla Firefox is a graphical web browser developed by the Mozilla Corporation, and a large community of external contributors. Firefox, officially abbreviated as Fx or fx and popularly abbreviated FF, started as a fork of the Navigator browser component of the Mozilla Application Suite. Firefox has replaced the Mozilla Suite as the flagship product of the Mozilla project, under the direction of the Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla's conditions for use of their trademarked names require that distro's using their products clear any patches with them first, but in Debians view this compromised their own strict security measures so rather than this they opted to change the branding of the products. Debian's fork of Firefox is Iceweasel.
Firefox is our choice of web-browser here at Organic Design, and this article lists the extensions and configurations we like to include with it.
- 1-click youtube downloader
Download Helper - download videos from youtube and other online video content sites Firebug
- Image Block - useful for slow connections now that the prefs option has been removed
- Flash Control - changes flash objects (like youtube vids) into an play button instead of auto-load (there are others, but this is the only thing that works with Beth's OceanOfWisdom.org subtitles app)
- Privacy Badger - EFF's blocker extension
- Flash player (apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree)
- WebGL - go to about:config and set webgl.force-enabled, clear webgl.disabled is it's set
Disable page prefetching
Firefox downloads webpages from links it thinks you may click. This may make the experience seem faster but really it just bogs down Firefox and your netbook, and for SSD users is an important "feature" to disable to improve the drive's lifespan. Type about:config in the address bar, then set network.prefetch-next to false. The DNS cache times may be too short if your on a really slow connection too.
Install the en_GB languages and if en_US keeps re-establishing itself as the default, you can forcefully remove the en_US* files from /usr/lib/xulrunner-*/dictionaries/.
Firebug is a must-have extension for web-developers, here's a list of useful documentation and tutorials on the Firebug extension.
- Firebug tutorial
- introduction to Firebug
- Firebug Internals
- 14 min Tutorial
- Joe Hewitt highlights
- Excellent overview
- Litfuel tutorials
- Debugging AJAX Application with Firebug
- CSS editing using Firebug
Developing custom addons
- What the future could hold for Firefox OS - competing with iOS and Android on their own turf isn't going to work
- Details on cert pinning flaw
- Entering the Quantum Era - How Firefox got fast again and where it’s going to get faster
- Recovering saved logins