The Lightning Network represents an improvement in efficiency and uses a more logical payment network structure. Instead of broadcasting a transaction to everyone, the transaction can be sent more directly to the payment recipient. Only when parties to the transaction are dishonest, does one need to resort to the cumbersome process, which distributed censorship-resistant systems require to maintain consensus. In this way, one can achieve performance and efficiency almost equivalent to that of direct communication between the parties over the Internet, while retaining some of the security characteristics of Bitcoin’s blockchain.
- About the lightning network
- Run your own mainnet lightning node
- Lightning-charge - a drop-in solution for accepting lightning payments
- How privacy will be done with Lightning
- Accept lightning payments easily with Strike
- Announcing Zap beta release
- Charlie Lee on how LN is actually more p2p and inline with the original vision