Why's the mouse so fast!
The desktop applet doesn't allow you to slow the most speed down enough for some models of mice. I found a good solution here which I've copied below.
First find the name of your mouse device with xinput -list which will produce something like this (I've highlighted my mouse):
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)] ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ GASIA USB KB V11 id=10 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ Logitech Optical USB Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ Wacom ISDv4 EC Pen stylus id=12 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ Atmel Atmel maXTouch Digitizer id=13 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ Wacom ISDv4 EC Pen eraser id=17 [slave pointer (2)] ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)] ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ GASIA USB KB V11 id=9 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ WebCam SC-50AFL11C54N id=14 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ WebCam SC-20HDM12347N id=15 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=16 [slave keyboard (3)]
You can then adjust the speed using the name from the list as follows (the higher the number, the slower it goes):
xinput -set-prop "Logitech Optical USB Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 5
Bluetooth became very intermittent after upgrading to 18.1
After upgrading, the bluetooth connection would only establish once in every five or ten reboots! Looking at the bluetooth status revealed that the soft rfkill was activated in the bluetooth.
$ systemctl status bluetooth ● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-02-27 08:21:46 -03; 23min ago Docs: man:bluetoothd(8) Main PID: 1972 (bluetoothd) Status: "Running" CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service └─1972 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: gatt-time-server: Input/output error (5) Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Not enough free handles to register service Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Not enough free handles to register service Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Sap driver initialization failed. Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: sap-server: Operation not permitted (1) Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Failed to get connections: Not Powered (0x0f) Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.30 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.30 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink Feb 27 08:31:13 nad-sammy bluetoothd: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Looking at the kill list shows that it's soft-blocked for some reason:
$ rfkill list 0: samsung-wlan: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 1: samsung-bluetooth: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 2: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 5: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: yes Hard blocked: no
This can simply be fixed with the rfkill unblock bluetooth command and then everything connects as it should :-)
USB 3G modem stopped working after moving to Mint
This same modem used to work fine on Ubuntu, but for some reason it would not show any response on Mint even though internally it uses the same version of Ubuntu. This seems to be a very common problem, especially for Huawei 12d1:1446 devices. I have got it working, but I'm not sure which things are required yet. I've done these things.
First, ensure that you have the 12d1:1446 file available in the /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/ directory, and extract it from the configPack.tar.gz file in the same location if you don't have it.
cd /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/ tar -zxf configPack.tar.gz 12d1:1446
Check dmesg after you insert the device to check what CD-ROM device it's being seen as and eject that device, for example I have the following outpushown in dmesg after inserting the device:
[ 396.158650] scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 396.158683] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access HUAWEI SD Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 396.160556] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0 [ 396.163984] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk [ 396.164126] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi-1 drive [ 396.164452] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 [ 396.164687] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
So I can then eject that device using the following command:
Finally, run the usb_modeswitch command to initialise the device, and then if you don't see the device appear in the menu after a few seconds, try restarting the network manager, you might also try removing and in-inserting the device if still no luck, but you shouldn't need to do any of the above commands again.
usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1446 -J sudo service network-manager restart
Brightness stopped working after installing Mint 18
After I installed Mint 18.1 the brightness keys stopped working - none of the applets or command-line brightness tools such as xbacklight worked either.
I found an old post here by Ryo Cook from 2013 which is still relevant now. Edit your /etc/default/grub file and add the following acpi parameters to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT setting as follows:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
Then run sudo update-grub and restart the system, all backlight tools should then be working again!
Backup and restore desktop settings
dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > BACKUP_FILE
dconf load /org/cinnamon/ < BACKUP_FILE
- The suspend/resume events on 18.1 are in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/ with param equal to pre and post